Who can make a complaint about SLaM?

A complaint can be made by anyone who is affected by the actions or decisions of the Trust. If you are complaining on someone else's behalf, we will need to check with them that they are happy for us to respond to you.

What is the time limit for making a complaint?

If you are unhappy about something, then it is always best to make your complaint as soon as possible and not more than 12 months after the incident or issue occurred. This time limit may sometimes be extended if there is a genuine reason why you could not make the complaint sooner.

Will my complaint be kept confidential?

To fully investigate your complaint, we may need to share some information from your medical records with clinicians and managers who work at SLaM. We respect patient confidentiality at all times.

What will happen as a result of my complaint?

It is important to be clear what you want to happen as a result of your complaint.  You may want:

  • An apology
  • Someone to explain what has happened
  • Some changes or improvements to be made
  • To make sure the same thing does not happen again

How do I make a complaint?

The best way to make a complaint is to speak to a member of staff who is involved in your care. If you do not feel comfortable talking to someone directly, you can ask for someone independent to help you. The complaints team can tell you more about this.

If staff have been unable to resolve your concerns and you want to make a formal complaint you can contact the Trust's Chief Executive or Complaints Department:

Complaints Department, Maudsley Hospital, London. SE5 8AZ

Telephone: 020 3228 2444


If you have something you want to say about our services, you can also visit the NHS Choices website.  

When will I hear from you?

We will contact you within three days of receiving your complaint to acknowledge it and make arrangements to deal with it. It is helpful if you could provide a daytime phone number for us to contact you. We will discuss with you how long it will take to respond to your specific concerns.

What if I am not sure about whether I want to make a formal complaint?

If you are not happy about something, but you are not sure that you want to make a complaint, you can speak to one of our Patient Advice and Liason Service (PALS) officers.They can give you more information about the complaints procedure and about independent complaints advocacy services that can help you and give advice.

You can contact PALS by phone (0800 731 2864) or e-mail:

What if I am not happy with how you respond to my complaint?

If you are unhappy with our response and need further information, you can ask for a meeting with a senior manager to discuss your concerns. Please contact the Complaints Department who can arrange a meeting for you.

We hope a meeting will resolve any concerns. If you still feel that they have not been resolved please contact the Complaints Department who can discuss further options available to you under the NHS Complaints Procedure.

You can ask the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman to investigate your complaint. You should do this within six months of our final response to you. You can write to them at:

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman

Millbank Tower, Millbank, London, SW1P 4QP

Telephone: 0345 015 4033


Where can I get more advice and help?

Your local NHS advocacy service can help you with your complaint. They can write letters, attend meetings with you, and provide interpreters if needed. They can also provide independent mental health advocates. 

Croydon: Advocacy for all
Telephone: 0845 310 1812 option 1

Lambeth and Southwark: POhWER
Telephone: 0300 456 2370    
Minicom: 0300 456 2364                          

Lewisham: Healthwatch Lewisham
Telephone: 020 8690 5012

Other boroughs: ask your council for details of your local NHS advocacy service.

Do you have any leaflets about the process?

Our main leaflet is “Concerns, complaints, suggestions or compliments? 

We also have Concerns or complaints? (brief/easier read) and Large Print 

Translations of our brief leaflet are available in:

This is our leaflet for people with learning difficulties about mental health services.

NHS England have published a guide for carers of people with a learning disability, autism or both about making feedback, concerns and complaints easier called Ask Listen Do: Top tips for families and carers 

Make complaints, register complaints, submit complaints, lodge complaints, put forward complaints, complaints procedure, advice on complaints, formal complaints and confidential complaints

Website Design by ConsultSMB