Dr Kitty Kwan
Consultant Clinical Psychologist
Area of expertise
- Neurodevelopmental disorders (ASD, ADHD, Tourette’s Syndrome) and co-occurring mental health problems including anxiety, depression, OCD, bipolar disorder
- Chronic health conditions and rare diseases
- Modified cognitive behaviour therapy for children and young people with neurodevelopmental disorders and mental health problems
- Psychological interventions for chronic health conditions and rare diseases
Dr Kitty Kwan is a Consultant Clinical Psychologist with the Centre for Interventional Paediatric Psychopharmacology and Rare Diseases (CIPPRD). Her clinical role is to develop and provide personalised psychological treatment and advice for children with complex neurodevelopmental conditions and co-occurring mental health problems, including making use of sensor based technologies for biometric guided therapy. She provides specialist consultation to education, social care and local mental health services.
Dr Kwan has worked in specialist educational settings as an educational psychologist for children with ASD and learning disabilities before further gaining her clinical psychology qualification. Her previous experience as a clinical psychologist included working in a multidisciplinary social communication clinic for assessment of children with ASD and providing psychological interventions in a child development centre for children with a range of paediatric developmental conditions and in a learning disabilities service in Southwark. She also worked as a Principal Clinical Psychologist with the Neurodevelopmental Team in Lewisham CAMHS and Paediatric Liaison Service in Lewisham Hospital for children with chronic health conditions including cystic fibrosis and diabetes. She provided neuropsychological assessments in the service and various training and support for parents of children with ASD including developing the Mindful Parenting group in Lewisham.
Dr Kwan has provided supervision and teaching on the DClinPsych programmes at the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience and Salomons Canterbury Christ Church University. She currently leads the CAMHS Neuropsychology CPD group in the Trust.
Education and training
- BSc in Psychology, University of Hong Kong
- MSc in Educational Psychology, University College London
- Doctorate in Clinical Psychology, University of Essex
- PGDip in Clinical Paediatric Neuropsychology, University College London
A Mindful Parenting group for parents of children with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and a co-morbid mental health disorder: A mixed-methods pilot study in a community CAMHS. International Association of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and Allied Professions (IACAPAP) Conference 2016, Calgary, Canada. Mueller, J., Allen-Crooks, R., Kwan, K., and Moghraby, O.
Preliminary evaluation of a parent training group intervention for the management of ADHD in the context of ASD. 5th World Congress of ADHD 2015. Mueller, J., Digiuni, M., Moghraby, O., and Kwan, K.