Area of expertise
- Management of treatment resistant psychosis
- Bipolar disorder
- Women’s health and physical co-morbidity
Dr Fiona Gaughran is Director of Research and Development at the Trust, where she is the Lead Consultant for the National Psychosis Service.
She is also a Reader in Psychopharmacology and Physical Health at the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience. Dr Gaughran is a Fellow of the Royal Colleges of Physicians in London, Edinburgh and Dublin and a Fellow of the Royal College of Psychiatrists.
As part of her role, Dr Gaughran is responsible for implementing new, evidence-based approaches to help people who have psychotic illnesses that have been resistant to treatment. She also has a keen interest in the physical health of people with psychosis and has published widely in this field.
Her research interests are largely focused on the interface between physical health and severe mental illness and on the management of psychosis. She has published over 150 papers and book chapters and recently co-edited books on ‘Treatment Refractory Schizophrenia’, ‘Physical Health in Schizophrenia’ and the ‘Maudsley Practice Guidelines on Physical Health Conditions in Psychiatry’.
Education and training
- 1987 M.B., B.Ch., B.A.O. (Hons.), University College, Dublin
- 1989 Membership of the Royal College of Physicians in Ireland
- 1992 Membership of the Royal College of Psychiatrists
- 2000 MD (with Commendation), N.U.I., University College, Cork
- 2002 Fellowship of the Royal College of Physicians in Ireland
- 2007 Honarary Fellowship of Royal College of Physicians (London)
- 2010 Fellowship of the Royal College of Psychiatrists
- 2017 Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- 2018 Honarary Fellowship of the Royal College of Physicians (Edinburgh)
Dr Gaughran’s papers publication list can be viewed on the Kings College London website
Treatment Refractory Schizophrenia, A Clinical Conundrum, Eds PF Buckley and F Gaughran. Springer. 2014
Physical Health and Schizophrenia, Castle D, Buckley P, Gaughran F. Oxford University Press 2017
Maudsley Practice Guidelines on Physical Health Conditions in Psychiatry, Taylor D, Gaughran F, Pillinger T. Wiley, in press
Immunity and Schizophrenia - Autoimmunity, cytokines and immune responses, Neurobiology of the Immune System
, Eds Angela Clow, Frank Hucklebridge. International Review of Neurobiology, Volume 52, 2002.
Schizophrenia and Immune responses, F. Gaughran, J. Welch. in Neuroimmunology, Handbook of Neurochemistry and Molecular Neurobiology (Third edition)
, Eds. A. Galoyan, A.Lajtha. Springer. 2008. p467-488
Treating Women With Schizophrenia, S Smith, F Gaughran in Castle and Abel: Comprehensive Women's Mental Health
, Cambridge University Press, 2016
Treatment with Medication, D Tracy, F Gaughran. Care of the Mentally Disordered Offender in the Community
, second edition. Oxford University Press 2017