Accept Cookies

Cookies: We use cookies on our website to make it clear, useful and reliable. This includes storing a small amount of data about you. By navigating to other sections of our website, you are consenting to information being stored. Find out more here.

De Crespigny Park
De Crespigny Park
De Crespigny Park
De Crespigny Park

De Crespigny Park Development



We want people using our services to continue receiving world class mental health care and treatment. We want them to get the right care, in the right place, at the right time.

Built in the 1930s, Mapother House, the Michael Rutter Centre and the Professorial Building are located on the edge of the Maudsley Hospital site, on De Crespigny Park Road. They are currently home to many of our Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services. (CAMHS) 
The existing Mapother House, Michael Rutter Centre, Professorial Buildings at the Maudsley Hospital site are not fit for purpose. There is an urgent need to redevelop our hospital facilities, as many of our buildings are old and in poor condition. 

Our vision is to relocate these services into new and improved other facilities including the Pears Maudsley Centre for Children and Young People and to release value from surplus estate at Maudsley Hospital to reinvest back into our current and future hospital and community facilities while creating much needed affordable new homes, for local people in Southwark. These proposals will enable us to deliver our vision to transform our inpatient facilities and deliver world class mental health care in the 21st century, benefiting the people and communities we serve.

On 5th October, Southwark Council's Planning Committee voted in favour of the scheme - read more

For detailed information, download the Southwark download the Southwark Statement of Proposal (SOP)



We plan to;  

Provide much needed affordable homes in Camberwell: 

Our proposals will deliver approximately 189 new homes comprising a mix of 1, 2, and 3-bedroom apartments, 50% of which will be affordable homes. 70% of the affordable homes will be social rented housing and the remaining 30% intermediate housing. The housing will be split across three main blocks ranging in height between five storeys fronting on De Crespigny Park, stepping up to eight storeys towards the south, on the hospital side of the site.

Introduce a new pedestrian walkway to better connect the community:

Our plans include a new pedestrian North-South link to improve connectivity from De Crespigny Park to Denmark Hill station and beyond. We are proposing a pedestrian friendly, car-free development including 568 bicycle spaces.

Provide a nursery for the children of SLaM NHS Foundation Trust staff:

We intend to replace the existing nursery, for 0-4 year olds, which is currently provided for our staff, and incorporate it in our plans for the site. The new nursery will be a purpose-built facility with a safe and secure outdoor play area. We will keep a nursery service running for our staff at, or as close as possible to, the Maudsley Hospital site, during construction.